Friday, March 21, 2008

I'll ask you three times, are you ok? : tales of driving and being driven

Jenn's Pick!

I have a friend who has struck up a friendship with a guy who called her from India one night to try to sell her a satellite dish. My friend isn't particularly interested in satellite dishes (she doesn't have a TV,) but she's one of those people, I'm sure you know them too, who can just connect with anyone, under any circumstances. That's what this book is about, even though it claims to be about "tales of driving and being driven." True, all the stories take place while the author is driving her own car or riding in a taxi, but mostly, it's about how she tries to learn a little something about the world from everyone who crosses her path. Each chapter is its own new story, and I'd suggest taking this one slowly, because all the stories do start to sound alike if you try and read it straight through.

The weakest part of this book is the title, which makes it sound a little like a self-help title. It's explained in the first story, but still, I think Naomi Shihab Nye could have come up with something better. Otherwise, it's worth a read.

No comments: