Monday, February 11, 2008

Jenn's Picks

Life as We Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer;

This is the story of 16-year-old Miranda and her family, and what their lives were like after a meteor crashed into the moon, shoving it much closer to the earth. I've read a few post-apocalypse stories, and I find them interesting. I actually enjoyed the movie "The Day After Tomorrow." This book though, was perhaps the scariest disaster book I've encountered. Not because of what happened to the family exactly, but because of how believable I found the story to be. This book made me want to stock up on canned goods. Read it on a day when you can stay up late, because it's very gripping. Next, I'm going to read "The Dead and the Gone," also by Pfeffer, which is the story of the same cataclysmic moon-meteor impact as lived by other characters.


I've been reading a few "Novels in Verse," just because I hadn't read any. I didn't expect to like them, I don't mind telling you. I'm not wild about poetry, and somehow "Novels in Verse" seemed like it could be code for "A lot of poetry from people who couldn't make it in the Poetry World."

I was way off base though, at least so far. I've read two that I particularly liked, listed below. What I like about the "Novel in Verse" style is that you get right into the story, not a lot of extra fluff. It's just the action, but beautifully worded action. And they are quick reads.

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

An interpretation of the story of Elaine of Shallot, one of the tales of Arthurian legend. A great version of Elaine, she's a complete tomboy, she and her brother's have grown up in one of Arthur's war camps. I'm a big fan of Arthur tales, and if you are too, I'll say only this: This story doesn't end the way you think it will.



What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones

A fun story about a girl names Sophie who's on the quest for the perfect relationship. She thinks she's found the perfect guy in Dylan, but then she keeps thinking about Murphy from her art class, and she's really connecting with a guy she's met online, and then there's the masked mystery man from her Halloween Dance. She's got two great girl friends to help her figure it out, which is good because her parents aren't paying her much attention. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, "What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Life as We Know it" seemed very possible. The characters seemed realistic - Even though i read it several weeks ago, I still think about parts of the story.