Sunday, January 6, 2008

Week of January 5, 2008




Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn -- A series of books (the next two are called "Shrimp" and "Cupcake") with a great main character, Cyd Charisse. Cyd goes through a lot in these three books, moves from one family member's house to the next and breaking up and getting back together (and breaking up and getting back together) with her boyfriend Shrimp, and trying to decide what she wants to do with her life. Liked this one so much I went out and bought a copy of it for my home collection. Sometimes Cyd's decisions make me roll my eyes, but she ALWAYS makes me laugh.

-Jenn


The Blue Girl, by Charles de Lint -- A classic story of two non-popular girls trying to make their way at high school, while dealing with the ghost who haunts their hallways and a few unpredictable fairies (not the sweet fluffy kind.) This was my first book by de Lint, and from what I've read, he has several books set in the town of Newford, where The Blue Girl takes place. I'd definitely read more.



-Jenn





Winterdance, by Gary Paulsen -- This one's downstairs in the adult non-fiction collection, but it's worth the trip. The story of a guy who decides to run the Iditarod dog sled race. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, given that I didn't have much of an interest in dog sled racing. It's thrilling, but also downright funny. Laugh out loud on an airplane funny. Any dog lover has to read this book.

-Jenn




Clubbing by Andi Watson is an illustrated story set in United Kingdom with a likeable city goth girl from London. I liked the way Lottie lets the reader in on what’s happening. She’s a delight. Her adventure involves misperceptions and a secret cult. Even a dragon figures into the mix.







Trickster’s queen by Tamora Pierce continues Alianne of Pirate’s
Swoop’s adventures as a spy. Will her expanding group of conspirators succeed in overthrowing the current regime and place their queen in power? A good very imaginative read.

No comments: